A dental emergency can happen to anyone, but children are more susceptible than adults because they don’t have as many fears. When you need emergency dental care, call on the best emergency dentist in Brooklyn: Broadway Family Dental. We’ll get you or your child in to see the dentist in Brooklyn today.
Urgent, Emergency Dental Care
Many dental concerns and problems arise after normal business hours. Injuries and toothaches often don’t wait for a convenient time for you and your family dentist to schedule. An emergency dentist in Brooklyn has to treat many painful and frustrating conditions on a walk-in basis. And for a dental emergency, Brooklyn dentists have to be able to schedule you within 24 hours.
There are many different reasons that require urgent dental care. From an injury to your natural teeth to complications with dental hardware to accidents involving your soft tissue, dental emergencies can vary. Fortunately, Broadway Family Dental is there when you need them.
Tooth-Related Concerns That Require Emergency Dentistry
It’s not uncommon for kids to injure their teeth. Sports injuries, falls and accidents can all cause:
- Toothaches usually are caused by an untreated cavity, an injury or problems from previous dental work. If you suddenly develop a toothache, make a dental appointment as soon as possible. If you’re in significant pain, swab the area with clove oil, apply cold compresses and take over-the-counter pain relievers.
- Broken, chipped or fractured tooth. Injuries or hard, abrasive foods can cause broken, chipped or fractured teeth. After washing the tooth carefully, save any pieces and apply gauze if bleeding. Cold compresses and over-the-counter medication help with the pain.
- Knocked-out tooth. Carefully rinse the tooth but do not remove any attached tissue. Place the tooth in a cup of milk and go immediately to your emergency dentist in Brooklyn.
- Extruded or partially dislodged tooth. A tooth that’s partially knocked out often occurs from injury. Apply cold compresses and use over-the-counter medication until you can reach your dentist.
Problems with Hardware or Dental Work
Braces and other dental work sometimes need repair. For example:
- Broken, chipped, or fractured crown. If the whole dental crown has come off, try to replace the crown with toothpaste or dental adhesives until you get to the dentist. Do not use any other glues or adhesives, as it could damage the crown.
- Repair of dentures. Since dentures are made of acrylic and other breakable materials, accidents sometimes happen. Your emergency dentist in Brooklyn is available to repair dentures. Carefully gather pieces and don’t try to glue them yourself.
- Lost filling. When you lose a filling, insert a stick of sugarless gum into the cavity to keep foreign objects from irritating a sensitive root as a temporary measure.
- Broken braces. Wires from braces can be dangerous. Use the eraser of a pencil to move the wire slightly if it’s poking the gums or cheek. Cover the end of the wire or hardware with orthodontic wax or gauze.
Injury or Concerns Regarding Soft Tissue or Bone
Soft tissue damage or injured bones are serious. Cuts, accidents, and infections that cause soft tissue damage include:
- Abscesses or swollen jaw. Especially after previous dental work, abscesses or a swollen jaw may indicate an infection. Have it treated as soon as possible. An infection around the root of a tooth or in the space between teeth can spread to other parts of your body if not treated. Use a salt solution (half a teaspoon salt in eight ounces of water) several times a day until you reach your dentist.
- Soft-tissue injuries. If you cut your gums or cheek in an accident, try to control the bleeding using a salt solution or pressure with a moistened piece of gauze or tea bag. Cold compresses can also stop the flow of the blood. If the bleeding continues or the cut is severe, see your dentist in Brooklyn or visit an emergency room.
- Broken jaw. Apply cold compresses or ice. Go immediately to your emergency dentist in Brooklyn or the emergency room.
- Bitten tongue or lip. Clean the area with a wet cloth and apply cold compresses. If the bleeding is excessive or you’ve bitten completely through your lip, this dental emergency can be handled by your dentist or in an emergency room.
When you’re in pain, handling a dental emergency can be tricky. Quick, appropriate action can save a tooth.
The cost of urgent dental care depends on the procedure and your location. Knowing exactly what an emergency dental care specialist can treat and the costs involved helps you navigate the shock and discomfort of a sudden toothache or injury. Your Brooklyn dentist makes every effort to see you as quickly as possible to alleviate your pain.
How to avoid urgent dental care?
Urgent dental assistance is required when you break, crack or knock out your teeth completely. You might be in need of a Brooklyn emergency dentist if your crowns come off of teeth or if you cut your lips or gums.
Our experienced team of emergency dentists in Brooklyn advises taking simple precautions to avoid the need for urgent dental care.
These include wearing a mouthguard during sports activities, avoiding hard foods that can break your teeth. Our Brooklyn emergency dental office can manage any of your urgent issues.
What should I do if my tooth gets pushed out of position?
You should not wait any longer and make an appointment with our Brooklyn emergency dentist if your tooth is pushed out of position or loosened. Before coming to our emergency dental office, you can try to reposition your tooth to its normal alignment with very light finger pressure.
What can be done if my tooth gets knocked out?
In case your tooth gets knocked out you should immediately schedule an appointment with an emergency dentist in Brooklyn NY. It is extremely important to have your tooth examined within the first hour if you want it to survive the trauma. Make sure you do not touch the root of the tooth as it can damage cells that are required for reattaching the tooth to the bone.
Do you have any questions for Brooklyn emergency dentist Dr. Ella Dekhtyar? Would you like to schedule an appointment with the best rated emergency dentist in Brooklyn, Dr. Dekhtyar of Broadway Emergency Dentistry, please contact our office for urgent consultation.
Brooklyn, NY 11221
☎ (718) 455-4400