When you lose one or more teeth, you have options to replace them with artificial teeth. Dental implants are permanent tooth replacements. You can get a single tooth implant, full or mini dental implants. The dental implants in Brooklyn, NY require surgery, so it’s not inexpensive. Affordable teeth implants are often trouble-free replacements for your missing teeth.
At Brooklyn, New York cosmetic dentistry, the leading dental implant specialist Dr. Dekhtyar uses only the best dental materials available in the USA. We work with top dental labs in New York and use only the highest quality components available on the market today including the best quality medical grade titanium or titanium alloy for artificial teeth.
What Are Dental Implants?
Tooth loss occurs due to periodontal disease, tooth decay, or injury. Previously, bridges and dentures were your only options. Cosmetic dentistry has developed the dental implant procedure to mimic natural teeth and reduce or eliminate many of the drawbacks of more traditional tooth replacement procedures.
Tooth implants can replace one or more teeth. Because it replaces the tooth root, it provides a strong foundation for permanent teeth or removable teeth. Your local dentist ensures the artificial crown matches your existing teeth.
Orthodontists are using mini implants more often as a technique for straightening teeth. Small and temporarily fixed to the bone, they act as anchors to move teeth to the desired position. Unlike other affordable teeth implants, mini implants are removed once they’ve done their job.
According to NCBI, about 450,000 dental implants are being embedded each year. Tooth implants have a success rate of 95% and entail minimum risks.
What Does a Dental Implant Procedure Entail?
Whether you need a single or full dental implants, the procedure is the same:
- Our dentist assesses your condition and your needs to develop a tailored treatment plan.
- If you have any remaining tooth root, it has to be removed through a root canal.
- If you need a bone graft because you have insufficient bone for the implant to adhere to, this surgery is scheduled before the Brooklyn dental implants procedure. It takes two to six months for you to heal.
- Your local dentist places a small titanium post in the bone socket of the missing tooth or teeth. The bone heals and grows around the post, usually in about 12 weeks.
- Once healed, your dentist places an abutment, a connector post, onto the titanium post in your jaw.
- Your dentist makes impressions and creates a model of your bite to fit the new crown.
- The replacement tooth, or crown, is cemented to the abutment.
- If you’re receiving detachable or removable dentures, attachments on the abutment support them.
You’re given a local anesthetic to insert the root implant. Most people report very little discomfort during the installation process, which is easily controlled by over-the-counter medications. Since there’s no root or root nerve, many say they experience less pain than a tooth extraction. Normal brushing, flossing, and mouthwash are all that’s needed for aftercare.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
Many people prefer the advantages of artificial teeth over more traditional replacement methods. Advantages include:
- Improved appearance. The implants mimic your natural tooth and tooth root. As the post fuses with the bone and becomes permanent, you may forget which tooth is artificial and which are your natural teeth.
- No discomfort. Since the post and crown mimic your natural teeth, you stop experiencing the discomfort of ill-fitting or slipping dentures.
- Improved speech. Traditional dentures can slip or become ill-fitting over time as your mouth changes, causing mumbling or slurred speech. Since even full dental implants are permanent or securely attached, you stop worrying about it and speak more naturally.
- No food concerns. Denture wearers must avoid certain foods because of the movement of their dentures. After even full denture implants, you can return to a normal diet without concerns.
- Improved self-esteem. You enjoy the benefits of improved confidence as you no longer feel self-conscious about the gaps in your smile or worry about ill-fitting hardware.
- No other teeth are affected. A bridge requires the tooth to be altered to provide an anchor. It’s often under pressure to support the bridge. Especially with single tooth implants, your other teeth are unaffected.
- A lifetime of use. This permanent tooth replacement procedure provides a very stable and durable platform with the post adhering to the bone. With proper care, artificial teeth can last a lifetime.
- Less worry. With a fixed implant process, you no longer need to deal with messy removable dentures or adhesives. Convenient and natural-appearing, even full mouth dental implants result in a return to the quality of life you experienced before you lost teeth.
Dental Implant Concerns to Discuss with Your Dentist
As with any dental implant procedure or surgery, you should discuss concerns and risks with your local dentist. To receive dental implants near me, you need healthy gums and enough bone to hold the implant in place. Even a single tooth implant can be expensive, and many insurance companies don’t cover the procedure, even though dentists prefer the procedure over other replacement methods.
Rare dental implant problems include:
- Fracture of the tooth implant
- Overloading the implant
- Damage to the surrounding area
- Poor positioning
Poor bone quality causes “peri-implantitis” or inflammation of the gum and bone surrounding the implant. Peri-implantitis is very rare. The longevity and durability of implants make this replacement procedure an effective choice for those who want to return to the look and feel of their natural teeth. Recovery is relatively quick, and the side effects are minimal.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Does a Dental Implant Procedure Take?
Dental implant surgery takes around an hour for one implant. After the procedure, you will spend four to six months with temporary crowns. The healing time usually varies between three to six months. It depends on the complexity of the procedure and the patient’s body peculiarities. When the implant metal post is healed, the dentist will install the abutment and the crown. If you need a bone graft before the implant placement, the healing time after the bone grafting also takes from three to six months.
Is the Dental Implant Procedure Painful?
The dental implant process usually causes little to no pain. Before surgery, your dentist will use local anesthesia. Once the anesthetic effect disappears, you may experience discomfort that can be easily eliminated with pain medication. Painful sensations depend on the level of pain tolerance and the complexity of the procedure. While some people require prescribed painkillers, others can easily manage pain with NSAIDs.
What Are the Different Types of Dental Implants?
There are two main types of tooth implants:
- Endosteal. This is the most common option. Endosteal implants are embedded in the jawbone.
- Subperiosteal. These implants are used in people with jawbone loss and deterioration.
If you have an insufficient jawbone that’s unable to support your dental implants, you may need to undergo special treatment to restore your natural jawline. Contact our internationally recognized dental implant specialist Dr. Dekhtyar for details.
How Much Are Dental Implants in Brooklyn?
The average cost of dental implants ranges from $3,000 to $4,500. However, the cost of the procedure always depends on the amount of work done. A tooth implant is a custom object that requires expensive and qualitative materials as well as dental laboratory work. If you want natural-looking implants that will serve you for a long period of time, be ready to pay more. Keep in mind that cheap dental implants are associated with perforation of the sinus cavity, bone loss, and implant failure.
Does Dental Insurance Cover Implants?
Due to the fact that most dental insurance policies categorize dental implants as a “cosmetic procedure”, they usually don’t cover them. Moreover, bone grafting (even if it is required for implant placement) is also not covered by insurance. However, you should consult your medical and dental insurance providers before the procedure. Certain insurances can cover up to 50 percent of the dental implant cost.
Do I Need a Tooth Implant?
Implants are a common treatment for damaged, crooked, or missing teeth. If you are not comfortable with installing dentures or crowns, tooth implants may be an option for you. Dental implant procedure in Brooklyn can improve the aesthetic of your smile, oral health, and chewing activity.
What Are the Alternatives to Dental Implants?
If you don’t qualify for implant placement or have conditions that may complicate the treatment, consider other solutions.
Dental implant alternatives include:
- Full Mouth Dentures. It’s a good option if you’re missing a lot of teeth, or your natural teeth are damaged.
- Partial Dentures. Partial dentures improve your speech and chewing. They can be easily removed, cleaned or repaired.
- Fixed Bridges. They can look and function like natural teeth. Since bridges are fixed in your mouth, they won’t come loose.
Do you have any questions for Dr. Ella Dekhtyar? Would you like to schedule an appointment with the top-rated cosmetic dentist, Dr. Dekhtyar of Broadway Family and Cosmetic Dentistry? Please contact our office for a consultation regarding affordable teeth implants.
Brooklyn, NY 11221
☎ (718) 455-4400